Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Freedom Writers



I wonder why is it that whenever I want to write about a movie I like a lot, I seem to get tongue-tied.

It is as if no matter how much I write or how well I explain, I will never be able to fully express to my readers why I like it so much, especially when the movie is based on a true story.

That’s exactly what happened to this week’s review. I’ve been meaning to talk about it for a long time, but I always find an “excuse” to postpone it and leave it for another day… until now.

I have watched this movie at least four times and it never seizes to amaze me.

It’s the story about a woman named Erin Gruwell (played by Hilary Swank), who after having followed a different career, decides it’s time to fulfill her lifelong dream of being a teacher. She applies in one of the schools and is thrilled when she gets the job.

She prepares herself in every way for her first day. She chooses her best outfit, arrives early and stands there eagerly and nervously waits for her students. You can see her happiness in her face. Her dream will finally come true. She will be able to teach what she knows to a whole class of young people and hopefully make them see the world a little bit the way she does.

She is very inexperienced but oh how she hopes she will be able to inspire them somehow!

And then one by one, the students start to come in room 203, where they will have their English classes with the new teacher and as they do so, she smiles at them… she wants to make them feel welcomed.

But she wasn’t prepared for what she saw in their faces. Nobody returned her warm welcome; instead she saw coldness, anger, disinterest, hatred, racism, resistance, prejudice, conflict, anguish, fear… and all that on the first day! Each student sat with their own “group”, turned their desks away from the front of the class and just did their own thing. All they wanted was for the bell to ring so they could go to the next class and then go home. Nobody cared about her, nobody cared that she was there.

Needless to say her first day as a teacher was a complete disaster and the following days were no different. She would try and teach them but nobody paid any attention. She then started to learn that most the students in her classroom and in the whole school were gang members; they carried knives and guns into school, they fought among themselves, they fought outside school, many were poor, some were homeless and none, not one, believed they could be somebody in life.

They didn’t respect her and didn’t care about anything she had to say or teach.

So, maybe wanting to be a teacher wasn’t a good idea after all.

Maybe some dreams never come true… maybe making a difference somewhere or in somebody’s life is not for everyone. And by looking at everything that is going wrong in your life, you realize that maybe… maybe you are just not good enough.

Who has never faced a difficult situation or a great disappointment that left you felling exactly that way?

I know I have.

And so after reading this you might ask, “How can this movie be any good? If this is the story, why should I watch it?”

Well, here’s when the story starts getting really interesting…

I haven’t told you the best part yet.

Come back here next Friday and I will ;)

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if I watched the movie or not but it has definitely gone on my list. Everyone I know who has watched the movie said that it was very inspiring. Will wait for your next post next week!
    I have had situations in my life that have left me feeling that way. Somehow when I turned to God for help, which is literally all you can do most of the time, He has never disappointed me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only way to overcome moments like this Yolanda.

      And you should really watch it, it's a nice one ;)

      Delete
  2. I love this movie and plus, the movie give a good lesson :)

    ReplyDelete