Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

In the last 5 months - Who? Me?? But I can’t…


Everything started last year, when I had a big project in my hands. The project was called ILS – I love you… Seriously.

It was an event about love life where some of the YPG member had to perform a play. So far, so good… I love to watch performances, just like I love watching movies, but this time I was not only to watch it but also direct the play. I was supposed to get the script, choose the actors and train them to perform on the day… to hundreds of youths. Cutting a long story short, the performance and the whole event was a total success. I was so proud of all the actors and I was thrilled to have discovered a talent I didn’t know I had.

But the event was so good, that this year my husband decided that we needed a second one, like a continuation to the first play. When he told me we would have ‘I Love You Seriously 2’ I jumped with joy and at the opportunity to direct yet another play. The problem was, this time we didn’t have a script… meaning we didn’t have a story. We didn’t have a part 2, which meant someone would have to write it, but the question was, who?

That was when I was informed that the writer would be… me!

At the same time there was another event we were preparing for, our yearly Godllywood Pledge Night, where we would also have a drama performance by the YPG. Again, there was no script, no story and again I was informed that I’d have to write that one too.

Needless to say that I got a little desperate (well, a lot desperate), since all I have written in my whole life were essays in school and messages here on my blog. And if you like to read you know that a story has to have lots of different things, like the characters, their personality; it has to make sense, it has to have the funny parts, the serious parts and ultimately it has to tell a message. Now, that’s all well and good when you have the pages of a whole book to do that, but when you have to create that to be performed in 15 minutes, it’s a whole other story.

Now you can understand when I say that my first reaction was to think: ‘Me? But I can’t!’

So apart from everything else that was happening in my life back in March, I had to write two stories, completely different from each other, hold auditions, choose the actors, rehearse, train them and have everything ready for the day of the performance. One was to be in June and the other In July.

I got two YPG/Godllywood members to help me write the two scripts. That was when I showed you this picture:



Here we were writing a play called ‘Somewhere in Time’, best known among the actors as SIT.

And what were just ideas and words on a paper, became this:





It was one of the best experiences in my life. It was hard, right from the beginning, but it was also fun and very, very rewarding at the end.


To be continued tomorrow…

1 comment:

  1. I remember when you mentioned about writing the ILS2 script... During our first meetings we had a general idea but no ending and then no beginning lol at first it seemed as if we were going nowhere, but everything began to come together; the story, the characters, the message, the songs— who could be who (that was fun)! It was a wonderful and a great opportunity to see it all come together since the beginning.

    I have to admit I might have said the same thing "Who? Me?? But I can’t…" when I found out I'd be playing Makeda rsrsrs... I'm nothing like the character and it was definitely a challenge for me. A real challenge indeed!

    ReplyDelete