Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Moneyball




I didn’t really want to watch this movie when it came out… it looked very boring. Some people recommended it to me, but still, I don’t know why, I just didn’t think it was a good movie. Boy, was I wrong!

This movie has no action, it doesn’t have a lot of emotion, there are no fights, no drama, but I liked it a lot!!!

It’s a story based on true events about the baseball manager Billy Beane (played by Brad Pitt). I don’t understand anything about Baseball, but the movie shows that if compared with other teams, the one managed by Billy was quite poor and therefore had no conditions to buy the best players and as a consequence, they could never win a game, let alone compete in championships.

So, Billy’s goal was to find a way to use the limited financial resources he had to put together a team that was good enough to start wining some matches and take the whole team out of the awful situation they found themselves in.

It’s a lot to explain here, that’s why you should watch the movie and pay very close attention :), but to summarize it, he chooses to use a strategy created by a man everyone deemed to be crazy. Instead of looking at a player’s appearance and at everything the other teams looked at when buying a player, he starts looking at the statistics… how much a specific player could score points.

He faces a lot of difficulties because no one believes in his new strategy, the coach does not make things any easier for him, no one believes in him, only another guy whom he hired to work for him, who by the way started the whole idea.

Am I saying too much?

Let me try and summarize more lol. So, he starts doing some crazy things… he fires the “best” players he had, forces the coach to change the positions of the players on the team, he changes the way he treats the players; he does everything he knew and could, for he really believed in it.

And what happens??? It works!

This movie teaches us that if you want to make the difference, you will have to be different and not go by what everybody is already doing. It shows the story of a man who really knew how to make lemonade out of the bitter lemons in his life!

And that to reach success or to solve a problem is just a matter of faith, proper planning and mathematics.

Awesome movie! I absolutely recommend it! 

6 comments:

  1. I was hoping you would talk about the ending...what did you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I read this message when I needed the most... thank you because this summary is enought for me to understand so many things... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought the the same thing, i thought it was a boring movie, but ill be def. be watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Movie was pretty good. It made you think a lot & made a lot of sense. ;) Loved it.

    ReplyDelete