Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

David - A man of Passion and Destiny


I have to confess that I first started reading this book 5 years ago. I probably read the first 3 chapters but never really got to finish it. Don’t remember why.
And then, last year there I was again. I went halfway through and then started reading something else. This is a very strange behavior for me because I always, ALWAYS finish the books I start reading, even if it’s just to tell others how bad it is, that they shouldn’t bother reading it.
So, after a few months and many other books in between, I’ve finally finished reading David and here’s what I have to say about it:
I LOVED this book! I loved it because I always liked the story of David in the Bible. There’s something about David that really captivates me. I guess it’s the fact that he was an ordinary man, with faults and mistakes but because of his sincerity before God, he could be used for something extraordinary. It gives us a little bit of background on David’s life and journey from a simple shepherd to a great king. It makes you understand how things unfolded in his life.
However, there are two things in this book that I really don’t agree with.
One is the idea that no matter what you do, you never lose your salvation. Once saved, once a person has the Holy Spirit, he can never lose Him. That’s not true. You have Him for as long as you are with Him; leave Him and you will be also leaving everything He has for you, including salvation. Including His Spirit.
The other is the idea that some things God will simply NOT give you. No reason, no explanation, He just doesn’t want to. What?!
Let’s say you want a family some day and you use your faith to achieve that. Perhaps you may find out that God doesn’t want that for you and you will die a single maid and that is just because. There will be no reason for it except the fact that sometimes God says no.
I don’t agree with this idea, certainly there might be some things God will not do because they ARE NOT good for you, but He’s not in the business of refraining from answering your prayers ‘just because’. Read the Bible and the promises He has for you and you will see that this idea doesn’t make sense.
Everything else in this book is really good and really teaches a lot of things about faith, humbleness, sincerity, struggles and success, but those two things… I just could not swallow.
There are many things I’d like to say about this book, but if I did, this post would be way too long. So, if you want to know what was the best part for me, just go to the comments section below :)

6 comments:

  1. The best part for me was the chapter ‘All clutches removed’. Here the author talks about how God uses the hardest moments in our lives to really change us and mold us so that we are prepared to receive the things we are fighting for.

    Sometimes we feel alone, like nobody understand what we are going though and if they do, they can’t help us. The exactly same thing happened to David and that, the hardships he had to face, the loneliness he had to endure and the battles he had to fight were precisely what made him the great king he was. He didn’t know that at the time though, but God was using those moments to prepare him for the throne.

    Are you going through a hard time in your life right now?

    Follow David’s example: keep fighting, keep believing for this is the beginning of something extraordinary in your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs.Raphaela,

    Almost the same thing that happen to with this book happen to with the same book. I stared reading this book few months ago, but I never finish I just read the until chapter 3. But now I am going to finish reading this book.

    Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes Mrs.Rapha i will not give up on my group in the YPG. Ill keep fighting just like David .
    Like he fought gliath ill fight even tough negative toughts come ill overcome them just like David. Thankyou!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same thing here! Didn't finish the book, read like a couple of chapters than I stopped.
    Great to see that your doing book reviews! :-)
    And what about the book of Esther? Are there any thoughts on that one? The book is by the same author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little Jenny and Bruna, you should finish the book lol

    I never read Esther, but it's definitely the next I'll read on the series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Raphaela

      I really dont like reading at all i still have with me one book that i started in December and i didnt finish it up to now. With this challenge i'm in as well.

      Busie - S.A (Johannesburg)

      Delete