Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

The reason is very important


If you are anything like me, then you are not very good at following too many directions at the same time. 

For example, if you teach me anything new by giving me lots of instructions, I will have a hard time learning whatever it is that you are trying to teach me. I function much better taking a few things at a time. So based on this small deficiency of mine, I will give you small steps every week on learning how to manage your time well.

As you can see on my previous post on this subject, I'm far from being an expert at this, but I aim to get there someday, hence the Time Challenge.

I have tried to be organized many times before, but never really succeeded because of a lot of factors, but there's one thing I have recently noticed that I never had before. If I am to succeed at this I need to understand that knowing the reason why I want to change this about myself is absolutely crucial to make it happen. The problem is that many times we have the wrong reasons:

Here are some reasons that although good, were never really enough to make me change:

1. If you are not organized with your time, then you are not normal, not really efficient in what to do and therefore you start building a bad reputation for yourself 

2. You want to have some peace. You just want to be done with all your tasks so you don't have to worry about them anymore

3. You have too many things to do and you feel overwhelmed

4. It is the right thing to do

5. You don't want people after you, demanding that you do this or that. Again, the peace thing.

If any or all of these things are incentive enough for you to want to change, good. Use them! It's important that you know why and what you are changing for. However, if you have thought about the above, you tried to change it but didn't succeed, then maybe your reason is wrong.

I have asked myself 'why is that although I improve in this area of my life, I never seem to be able to really change?' The answer was 'You are not really focusing on your real reason'. Once I understood that, I had the motivation I needed to try again, to try harder, to do better and make all the necessary sacrifices to achieve my goal.

I will not tell everyone here what my reason is, it's very simple actually but very, very important to me. That small detail I'm only telling my partners, who signed up for this challenge with me.

But here's the first step towards time management success:

Find out why you want to change. If your reason is not good enough or strong enough, then you have to find a better reason, an end result that will make your sacrifices worthwhile. 

If you have no reason, then you don't really need to change, do you?

4 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you on this. In fact, when we try to change for the wrong reasons we hardly get there...

    So, besides the reasons mentioned above, here is my main one, the one that is not giving me rest until I achieve this go:

    If I don't change, I will be just one more creature in the world who were born will live and dye without making any difference, as if my life had no purpose. I don't want just to exist, I want to make a difference in people's lives through my existence.

    Big hug!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I printed out my reason and placed it somewhere where I'm always going to see it. Finding the real reason and knowing why I really want to change has helped me work and push myself to do more to accomplish this challenge. It's only day 6 but it's been quite challenging being discipline with myself to change certain habits of procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a message to Arleny:

    Have you been receiving the emails I sent you? You registered for the Time Challenge, but I get the impression that I got your email wrong :(

    ReplyDelete