Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Fast and Furious 6 – Two reviews and a question


                     


Since I watched this movie I’ve been thinking on how to best express my opinion about it, and I came to the conclusion that it is quite difficult to do it in one review only.

So I am going to write two: A good and a bad review.

Good Review

I’ve watched all the Fast and Furious movies, except the Tokyo one (for some reason I still have no interest in watching it) and when I watched the trailer of Fast 6 I immediately wanted to watch it. They were bringing the whole team back. They were even “resurrecting” Letty, which in my opinion was quite a stretch but a smart move nonetheless.

So I went to watch it and this is no doubt an action movie. It has action from beginning to end. From one scene to the next you find yourself at the edge of your seat or biting your nails, or wondering what’s going to happen next.

And it has a lot of funny parts, which is a plus in any movie. I laughed quite a bit throughout.

Everything else is the same as the previous five movies, fast cars, races, fights, you know…

That’s it for the good review, now moving on to the bad.

Bad review

The movie has no plot, no interesting story. The “plot” you see in the trailer is the one you will see in the movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

But there they are living the good life, enjoying all the money they stole in their last “job”, until the police comes knocking at their door asking for their help. These criminals are so “good” at what they do, that not only do they get away with whatever crime they commit, but they are also needed by the police, who apparently is not competent enough to do their own job. So now it’s criminals trying to stop other criminals… uh huh…

They portray the team of “good” criminals in such a way that they make them look good in the audience’s eyes. As if they have principles, as if who they are justifies what they do.

The guy says, “Everyone has a code. Mine is family”. Meaning that stealing, killing, breaking the law and whatever other crime you might commit is ok as long as you do it for family. Are you kidding me?

And the funny (for lack of a better word) thing is, after all their wrongdoing, they gather together at the table to have a meal and they all join hands and thank God for everything they have. WHAT? I’m not even going to say anything about that.

The Question

 Fast and Furious has a lot more wrong messages. It has wrong messages all over the place. Everywhere. All the time.

If you’ve already watched the movie, can you guess what they are?

If you do, just leave your comments below.

Sure it’s a cool movie, fast cars, tough guys and all, but the core message? All wrong.

Oh and one last thing, does it bother anyone else that no one really cared about what happened to Gisele at the end apart from the Japanese guy, or is it just me? O_o

4 comments:

  1. I agree it is a great movie, which I enjoyed but it does send out the wrong message. I thought it was a sad part of the movie when Gisele and the Japanese guy died. The wrong messages I saw are the following:

    stealing for your benefit or your family
    killing for your family
    betrayal among your team members/co-workers
    kidnapping innocent people to get what you want
    criminals helping cops catch other criminals for their own benefit
    I taught that it was wrong for Torreto to leave the lady cop once Letty was alive. It seems like he just used her.
    Just like you mentioned they all thank God for everything but they achieved it the wrong way. Fast and Furious is not the only movie that is good and gives the wrong messages to the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't expect to watch an action movie with spiritual visual and assume that it'll be to your standards. Toretto was already a criminal, Letty a criminal, roman a criminal, tej a criminal. Pretty much Han and Brian were the only ones that lived up to the "good" name in a sense that they lived up to human morals. "I owe you a ten second car" was a portmanteau that brian lived by and basis to make sequels. Han was in Tokyo mentoring a young lad to be a "drift king" but lived by the "family" code. This review is just biased. The core message and intent was to stop a high stakes criminals with-you-guess-it: criminals. That was it! No loss and more gain for Dom to recoup with Letty again and the team to have a clean slate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, thank you for your comment.

      I did not write this review based on my spiritual views. Had I done that this post would look very different. I wrote it based on principles my parents taught me way before I knew anything about faith.

      I wrote it based on the principle of right and wrong. Morals.

      And that goes beyond me and you. You can't change right and wrong.

      It's not about my standards or yours or a single person's.

      It is what it is.

      Or at least what it should be.

      Delete
  3. Well you need yo watch tokyo drift to understand why Giselle died and you forgot to mention the secret ending. Yes it is an action movie with no spiritual message. It was done to entertain and sadly youth are inspired to street race cause of these type of movies. Overall yes it has its negative message but now-a-days what movies don't. Even children movie have adult jokes. So we must be careful on what we watch and on what we absorb.

    ReplyDelete