Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

Man of Steel


Who has never seen a Superman movie? Who does not know the story?
Some people apparently don’t… one of my friends didn’t until this last one came out (I know… shocking lol) O_o
But I’m not here to tell you about the story; it’s the same as the ones before. I’m here to point out the reasons why I liked this one so much, why I would definitely watch it again and why, in case you haven’t yet, it might be good fun to go see it.
Superman’s real father is quite the warrior himself. I remember in the previous movies, sending his son away involved a lot of emotion. In this one however, he is more decisive and courageous. He even fights!
I think they chose the perfect actor for the role. He portrayed it very well :) Not to mention that they finally got rid of the curl on superman’s forehead. It was ok back in the 80’s but they still used it in the 2006 movie… come on!
I really like the relationship between Clark and his adoptive father. He believed in him so much! And even though he didn’t understand his son’s powers, he always made him see it as a positive thing. He made him feel especial and not “weird”. He believed in him, in his potential, in what he could become. It would be nice if all kids received such treatment from their parents nowadays. It would make it easier for them to believe it themselves…
Superman is not as confident as in the previous movies. He doesn’t think he was all that. And this is one of the things I liked the most about it.
There’s a scene in the movie where he doesn’t know what to do. He is not sure if he could trust and then someone tells him:
“Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith.  Trust comes after.”
Confidence was something he had to build up with each step he took, with each decision he made and with each enemy he faced.
So to sum it all up, I liked this version of superman because it shows more than just an alien who had super powers. It shows his indecision, his vulnerability, his fears and most importantly, his decision to believe despite all that.
Now, there’s something we can all relate to ;)
And to finalize, there is a sentence his biological father says in the beginning of the movie. He says:
“You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards…”
This sentence stayed with me ever since. I really like it, but the reason I do has nothing to do with superman ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment