Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Time Challenge Step # 4 - Learn to Prioritize




The last few weeks have showed me what challenging myself really means. Some of my plans didn’t work as well as I would have liked them too, others went down the drain completely. For a while it seemed that my frogs were the ones controlling my time lol.

A lot has happened, especially in the last few days, that brought the idea that perhaps this Time Challenge doesn't and will never work.

But this is my heart talking, because if I use my head (and I did), I will see that I have accomplished in the month of January things that I haven’t be able to do for months, some for years, and others that I have never been able to accomplish.

So, even though the last couple of days didn’t go so well, I must say that the results I had were incredible and I should be satisfied... but I am not. 

Last week I wrote a passage that says there is a time for everything and everything has its time. I believe that 100% and that’s why I am here. That’s why I have determined that February will be even better than January and so it will!

Now one thing that you need to understand is that although there is a time for everything, you will never have time to do everything. That’s right. You will never have time to do everything, because if that were possible, everyone would already have achieved everything they want in life, everything will be done. But the truth is, there’s always something to be done, even if you go through your whole list if to-dos today, there’s always something to be done still.

But that doesn’t matter… as long as you do what’s really important.

If you come to the end of the day and you have done all your most important tasks, will it really matter than you haven’t done everything on your list?

You need to determine what your most important tasks for each day are.

So let’s do some exercise here, shall we?


Write on a notebook everything you need to do today.
Highlight your frog or frogs for today.
Now see which of your tasks are really important.
Write 1, 2, 3, 4… in front of each one, according to their order of importance.
Write your list again, following the order of the numbers. 

By doing this exercise, you might see that there are some tasks that can be left for tomorrow or that your frog was actually towards the end of the list, when it should be first or even that some tasks are not really that important and don’t need to be done at all.

We will do that everyday this week, starting today.  Make a list tonight of all the things you need to do tomorrow following the steps I just gave you.

This exercise will help us prioritize so we can spend our time in what's really important. And that will make all the difference this month.

I’m moving forward, what about you?

P.S.: Partners who haven’t received my email yet, don’t worry. You WILL be receiving it this week ;)

2 comments:

  1. Blushing... I have to admit that last week was really hard. Like you said I ate some frogs but it seemed that I didn't get much done and then other new things kept coming that I was exhausted and really wanted to say that's it. But, I didn't I'm still here!! :) I really have a hard time prioritizing certain things, because I do think that several things are important and should be dealt at once, but then I don't know where to start and which to follow, I think this will will be different. I'm starting to write my list for tomorrow and I'll come back at the end of the week to let you know how it went.*Now that I think about it, I also got things done last month that I hadn't been able to or had been leaving for later in years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to work on this a lot more; I realized that I'm not sure how to exactly prioritize certain things everything seems to be important... But I'm not giving up! Will continue working at this even harder. I did get almost all of my things on my list done, but still have some pending for today and this weekend.

    ReplyDelete