Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Help - A follower's review


This is the beautiful Bruna. She's been a faithful follower of my blog since I started writing. She recommended this movie to me last year when I hadn't yet watched it and so I asked her to write a review for me and here's what she has to say about it:


During the 1960’s women got married, and with a husband came children, and with children came a maid…

Black women in those days were expected to clean up after their employer’s kids and take care of them from the time they were babies, until they were grown, got married and got a maid of their own. The mothers didn’t really take care for their kids; instead they would hand that responsibility to the maid, together with all the cooking and cleaning.

However, our main character Skeeter (Emma Stone) is a single woman in her 20’s and was looked upon by her mother and friends as someone not fit for the society at the time. She was not married and didn’t have any children because instead of going for the norm, she opted for studying and getting a degree in writing.

The story turns even more interesting when Skeeter comes back home from college, and finds out that the maid who raised her and cared for her better than her own mother, was no longer working at her house. After that she started noticing more how other African-American women were treated and perceiving how their life as a maid was really like, she decided to start a book based on the maids point of view.

This movie is very inspiring. It shows us not to be scared to stand up for what’s right. 

In the movie we see how the maids were scared to tell their stories, afraid of the punishment they might get from their employers. But through her attitude Skeeter shows them that no one should be afraid to be different and make the difference, regardless of their color, culture or background.

Emma Stone did a wonderful job portraying a girl who goes against the flow and does not accept the rules and concepts of a society where the color of one's skin dictated how they were treated, what they had and how they lived.

I totally recommend this movie; it has something to give and the story is truly captivating.


I agree 100 % with you Bruna! This movie is very good, funny and entertaining! I had a lot of fun watching it.
I just didn’t agree with what the boyfriend did. He was an idiot...

3 comments:

  1. I watched the Help movie I can say its funny and revolting but one can learn the fighting and bold Spirit from major characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posing my review :) (very grateful)
    I really enjoy this movie a lot! lol ye the boyfriend got me mad a lot :-( but at least Skeeter was strong enough to move on and look forward

    ReplyDelete