Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Good oldies Tuesday - Coach Carter




I don’t really like watching sports on TV but strangely enough I love watching movies about it. I don’t really understand American Football, but really enjoy watching movies where they show it, the same with baseball and basketball… go figure.

This is a movie about a High School Basketball Team that after losing most of their games in their past season, decides to hire former basketball player Ken Carter (played by Samuel L Jackson).

Carter has very different tactics to train his players and one of them is by teaching them respect. Respect towards others and themselves. After months of practice and really hard training, they learn how to play well and sure enough their team start winning all the games.

Although this is a very interesting part in the movie, it’s not what I liked the most. What I liked the most in this movie is that the coach didn’t want to only have a successful basketball season; he wanted to teach his players that there’s more to life than the here and now.

Most of the students of his school either dropped out, went to jail or ended up dead and he wanted to change that, at least for the players on this team. He does everything in his power to show them that if they chose to, they could have a better future, they could be someone in life; they could go to College and do things they never believed they could.

And the whole school really admired him for that… well, not really.

You see, whenever you are trying to make a difference, you will face opposition. You are misunderstood, misinterpreted, judged and even criticized and that’s exactly what happens with Ken Carter. He was trying to help but people didn’t understand it that way.

Coach Carter is based on a true story and that’s probably why I like it so much. 

So, if you haven’t watched this movie yet, you should. It’s really inspiring and definitely one of my favorites.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit Mrs. Raphaela that this post really spoke to me. Specially because am a lider in my tribe and am trying to make a difference in it to help my youth but there is always something that's comes against my way. Meaning being misunderstood or criticizedbut I won't give up, but this blog post helps me in many ways and I will take the initive to watch this movie; Mrs. Raphaela thank you so much for sharing!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Mrs.Raphaela, I don't like movies about sports, but this movie had a real message. For me it was that if we have respect, we can be successful. I would really love to see it again, thanks for sharing Mrs. Raphaela.
    Evelinth,
    Tribe Simeon,
    Miami, FL.

    ReplyDelete